I’m a serious user of GoToMeeting and GoToWebinar. When I got my iPad I was excited to discover the GoToMeeting application. It has the basic attendee options you would expect. You can join a meeting very easily and use the iPad built in speakers. If you have your own GoToMeeting account you can also view your scheduled meetings. You can start one of those or create and start a new one. You cannot however schedule a meeting for the future from within the app.
You also cannot use the application in anyway for GoToWebinar which is very frustrating. One would assume that if they could create the app for one they could manage it for the other. You can however host a meeting from the iPad. You can share cloud documents from ShareFile and Dropbox. You can also share your Safari Browser or use a Whiteboard.
All around I think Citrix has done a fine job developing the mobile experience but I’m hopeful they will continue to add new features and include their GoToWebinar experience. Below is the full list of features from the developer.
* New: Host an ad-hoc meeting and invite people on-the-fly by text message or email. Audio is integrated automatically.
* NEW: Present your content by simply browsing to it or through integrations with Sharefile and Dropbox (iPad only).
* NEW: Brainstorm with the onscreen highlighter and whiteboard (iPad only).
* NEW: Find an attachment in your email that you want to share and tap “Open in GoToMeeting”
* See up to 6 meeting participants with HDFaces video on iPad.
* Join meetings and Webinars in seconds by tapping a link in an email, or your calendar.
* Share HDFaces video from the front or back camera on iPad.
* Connect to audio through your Internet connection (WiFi or 4G/3G) or dial in over the phone.
HOW TO JOIN A MEETING
You don’t need to purchase an account to attend GoToMeeting sessions. After you download the free GoToMeeting app, there are a couple of easy ways to join a meeting:
• Tap a link in an invitation email and then follow the prompts.
• Tap the GoToMeeting app icon on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch and enter the Meeting ID provided by the meeting organizer.
HOW TO HOST A MEETING
Use your GoToMeeting account username and password to log in.
• Tap “meet now” to start an ad-hoc meeting. Or,
• Tap a previously scheduled meeting to start it. (Meetings can be scheduled from your desktop. Or schedule a generic recurring meeting that can be used over and over again from your iOS device.)
• Pass presenter controls to anyone in the meeting or “be the presenter” from your iPad. Find the content you want to share and press “Play”. Voila!
Upon joining, you will be automatically connected to audio through your Internet connection (WiFi or 3G).
• For the best audio experience, plug a headset into your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch.
• For iPhone users, if you prefer to dial in over the phone line, you can find the designated phone numbers in your meeting invitation email. Once you’ve joined the session, U.S. based numbers can be accessed with one click in Settings -> Meeting Info. (Note: iPhone users on the Verizon network will be unable to connect to the GoToMeeting web-based data stream and dial in over the phone at the same time.)
HDFaces VIDEO (iPad Only)
Upon joining the meeting, other’s webcams may be on and you will automatically see them.
• To turn on your webcam, tap the webcam icon, then tap the Share My Webcam button.
• We highly recommend using a strong Wi-Fi connection for best experience and connectivity.
• While it is possible to stream video over 4G/3G, we do recommend Wi-Fi. As operator data charges may apply, we highly recommend using an unlimited data plan or Wi-Fi connection.