If you are a web developer, or manage your own website, you probably use FTP software on your desktop almost daily. FTP client software allows the user access to upload and download files to and from the remote server where your website(s) is hosted.
Due to the file storage system on iOS there aren’t tons of reasons that you may have need to push files back and forth from your iPhone or iPad but it does happen. Particularly I find a great convenience in being able to send videos and pictures straight to my site on the go.
For that I recommend FTP Client Pro for iOS. Of the various apps available for this purpose, this seems to be the only one that is easy to use and reliable.
Full Feature List from the developer:
- View text files (doc, txt, rtf, pdf, pps, xls, etc).
- Edit simple text files (txt, css, php, xml, html, csv, htm, etc). If support is missing for a text file extension please contact LessIsMoreDevelopment@gmail.com and it will be added.
- Text editor functionality: Preview, text wrapping on/off, find/search, goto linenumber, extended code keyboard for iPad
- Play audio and video files (mp3, avi, mov, basically whatever apple supports).
- View image files (jpg, bmp, png, gif, etc).
- Download folders.
- Create new folders and files.
- Upload multiple pictures/videos. Files are uploaded in their native uncompressed format with meta data preserved.
- Move, copy, rename, delete files and folders. Folder actions are shown with the long press gesture.
- Send files or file links in an email.
- Files can be cached to avoid downloading again next time.
- Access cached files offline.
- All encodings supported (Asian, Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.)
- Multiple logins can be bookmarked.
- Incremental search/filter bar.
- Sort files by name, date or size.
- Change file/folder permissions (CHMOD)
- Unzip downloaded zip files
- Supports both Active and Passive mode.
- Supports custom port.
- Password protection of app.
- Possible to open files in other apps that supports importing.
- Upload files from your email or other apps that supports exporting.